Electric Assist Cargo bikes (Pedelecs) for goods delivery
The Use Case is aimed at promoting the sustainable alternatives for local deliveries using electric Assist cargo bikes. The Municipality offers the use of 4 bikes leased from a fleet of different bikes owned by Manchester Bike Hire to any organization in Manchester who would like to use the bikes for end distribution. The bikes come with a tracking system which enables data collection on usage
Free to use opportunity to try a variety of different types of models. Collecting data on usage of bikes by tracking the electric cargo bikes (provides insights on usage)
Legal and Political
- Restriction on cars in the Corridor encourages use of bikes for end distribution
- Manchester city goals and target for reducing emissions and having bikes as 10% of transport share
- Bike tracks- big enough to accomodate cargo bikes
- Existing congestion in Corridor encourages search for alternatives to reduce the number of cars
- Only 2.5% commuters use bikes for commuting. Need for promoting bikes.
- Manchester Bike hire is partner organisation with experience and expertise in cycle logistics, using cargo bikes to undertake last mile deliveries
- Attracting users for the Cargo bikes (behavioural change). Cultural view associated with use of bikes and safety
- Health and safety e.g. rider considerations differ for different organisations. PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) needs to be supplied to riders - sharing helmets is not desireable
- Behaviour change process - changing from vehicles to bikes takes time. Individual demonstrations and regular changes would provide incentives to encourage more users.
- Cargo Bikes are not mass produced.Lead-in times can be long - electric assist cargo bikes are still manufactured in small batches, so it can take 3-4 months from order to delivery
- Possible Customers: University, SMEs, anyone with need for end delivery alternatives
- Possible Financing: Mainly for businesses to develop their own business model around it
- Reducing operations costs
- Improving personnel efficiency
- Reducing traffic congestion
- Promoting sustainable private transport mode
- Reducing use of fossils in public transport
- Reducing local air pollution
- Promoting sustainable behaviour
bears 100% of the costs
Income / Revenue Stream"Not a business model but to promote use of bikes. Potentially reduces car parking and fuel costs, improves delivery service efficiency"
No products registered
Manchester Bike Hire has a fleet of different cargo bikes. The leasing model allows the Municipality to offer at any one time 4 of this fleet.